Anyone here from Texas?

Off-Topic Discussion here. Current Events. Life. Whatever Strikes Your Fancy.

Anyone here from Texas?

Postby Nautical Ridge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:59 am

Okay, so my husband and I are moving to Texas due to the army (unless his orders get changed in the next month) and I am very curious as to what it's like? The weather? How hot does it get? How cold does it get? Does it snow? Are there tornados? We won't be close enough to the coast for hurricanes. But I'd very much like people's opinions on Texas, whether you live there or have been there. It'd be highly appreciated :)
Nautical Ridge

Re: Anyone here from Texas?

Postby Crimson Rose » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 am

I live in Arlington Texas until Saturday, then I will be moving back to East Texas! <3 I have lived in Texas for 22 years, so I can answer most of your questions LOL :D What part of Texas are you moving to? Since Texas is so large, the weather can change alot according to which part you live in. ;) There are a ton of horses around where I live so you won't ever have to worry about that :D
*President of The Thoroughbred Breeders Society*
http://www.horseeden.com/club.php?id=213640
Crimson Rose

Postby Nautical Ridge » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 am

I'll be moving to Fort Hood/Killeen. I heard that it's a small town/large base. And ghetto.. so that's kind of freaky lol. We will be there for 3 years. So guess it's time to get used to the heat.. (I'm going to die.. lol) I like my Oregon cold weather.. heat makes me sick.. and yay horses XD I read that there is like a 2,000 acre horse campsite place with tons of trails? That would be awesome if/when I got another horse. I'm iffy about another horse.. just because if he doesnt enlist again and we go home, it should be fine. But if he enlists after his 3 years (husband) then it's really hard to find another barn in another state. Plus coggins and the vet papers that clear the horse to cross state transport. It's why I just sold my filly a month or so ago. And is it hot there? My dad's girlfriend lived in Texas and said that you open your front door and the heat literally takes your breath away.. and you can't even get out of the shower without sweating again.. like nooo haha. Does it snow? It's been like a blizzard all day today where I live near Portland, OR. And while it's been sucky since we can't go anywhere because the roads are so bad.. I will miss the snow badly if it doesn't snow there haha.
Nautical Ridge

Postby Vendetta » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:50 am

My stepbrother is currently stationed in Fort Hood, but my stepfather is from Dallas and my husband lived near Galveston for quite some time before moving up to NY. Father in law/brother in law still live down there. It snowed recently down there (I got pictures of my nephew playing in it <3) but I hear it's not really common to see snow. When I was there, my biggest thing was how FLAT it all was.

Also, I'm a NYer so it was quite the experience, haha!
Vendetta

Postby Nautical Ridge » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Ven, does your stepbrother like Fort Hood? That's where my husband is getting stationed. I joined a Fort Hood Army Wives page to get a better sense and ask questions. I was told the same thing about the snow... :( Lol. And that the thunderstorms cause lots of tornadoes. But kansas is like that and I lived there before so it's nothing new. Still scary though. And is it really flat? Definitely a lot different from Oregon haha. Southern Oregon can be flat. But where I'm at, we are surrounded by mountains and hills. And you can see mountain tops (the volcanos not actual mountain ranges) poking up above the mountain ranges. And I live about 40 minutes from Mount Hood. That's where my husband is from. He gets more snow that I do lol. But he's I'm Georgia now. So he's used to the heat.. last time I was around heat like that was kansas. It was 10pm with 90 muggy heat haha. But I heard Texas is the dry heat.. that can peak at 115...... :(
Nautical Ridge

Return to Rider's Lounge